Change from Employee Pension to National Pension

What you have to do after you quit your job and become unemployed is to change your pension plan from Employee Pension to National Pension.

Change from Employee Pension to Nation Pension

When working as an employee, you are automatically enrolled in the Employee Pension, otherwise known as “Kousei Nenkin” in Japan.
Once you become unemployed, you have to switch that plan over to the National Pension, or the “Kokumin Nenkin”
The premiums to the Employee Pension were withheld from your paycheck as social security tax.
Now that you’re unemployed. you will have to pay that on your own to the National Pension
It’s a pain because you’re losing your income but incurring cash outflow.
The mental effect of actually reaching in to your wallet and paying is just painful.

Anyhow, you gotta do what you gotta do.

I went and applied for the change so I’m gonna show you how to do it.



By when do I have to make the change?

Within 14 days after your termination

The time frame is actually pretty tight so lets get it done ASAP.
You’re going to be needing some documents from your former employer so watch out for that.

Read on to find out what you’ll be needing!



Where do I go to make the change?

Your nearest Japan Pension Service office

You can find one listed on their website.

Tell them that you want to change from Employee Pension (Kousei Nenkin) to National Pension (Kokumin Nenkin) and they’ll take care of you.

I went to one in Tokyo in the afternoon but it wasn’t crowded.

The paperwork just took about 15 minutes, no big deal.



What will I need?

  • Pension handbook (Nenkin Techo)
  • Name seal (inkan)
  • Proof of termination (Rishoku Hyo or Taishoku Shomeisho, both prepared by your former employer)
  • ID (drivers license, passport etc.)



How much will I be paying?

About 16,000 yen per month

Honestly, this is really painful for me.

After a days, payment slips are mailed to your home in a pile (seriously).
They’re quick with this stuff.

You’ll be paying 16,000 yen per month using the payment slips.
Mine are lying somewhere in my apartment, but what’s important is to get the paper work out of the way!

I hope this was of help.

Good luck!


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *